8.12.2008

According to EL Pais, UNESCO sponsors the 7 new wonders contest

Yesterday I wrote at 7 new wonders: patriotism and business about the topic of election of the “7 new world wonders”, organised by a swiss firm with commercial reasons. While the first vote is free, any additional vote is not. Why would anyone vote more than once? In some countries big campaigns have been set to make internet users vote to, I suppose, leave the nation’s honor high.
Now, one of things I stated in that entry was that the election was organised by a private firm and not the UNESCO, that would be the institution that should validate this initiative in case it was actually relevant. But it turns out, that when reading the spanish newspaper El Pais I found this:
The swiss millionaire Bernard Weber organizes the contest, supported by the UNESCO an in which one can vote through e-mail, telephone and mobile messages.
The UNESCO supports the contest? I assumed the journalist Carmen Perez-Lanzac had access to information posted after my entry on the topic. So the first thing I did was go to official 7 new wonders site. And with the assumption that such information would be standing out in the site, since UNESCO’s support would be of enormous importance. And I found nothing; not only no mention about the subject in the homepage, but neither in the press news or any other sections. However, checking out the page dedicated to expert panel that participate in the event, I found out the president of the panel is Federico Mayor, an spanish citizen who was general director of UNESCO. But he participates in the contest as an individual an not in representation of the organisation, as the Wikipedia states.
I went to the UNESCO site. I checked the press official news with several search. I found nothing. Unfortunately, the note at the spanish newspaper El Pais has no links to any site where the UNESCO’s support to the contest appears, and I take for granted that the journalist checked that info before publishing. But at least with the public information that is in the Net, I haven’t been able to verify that affirmation. Now, I don’t know what to think. That a commercial initiative is presented as something supported by an international institution such as the UNESCO is something serious, and deserves attention.

No comments: